- Project Feeder Watch starts and extends until April, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- Persimmons ripen - delicious when ripe, astringent when unripe.
- Woodchucks and chipmunks go into hibernation.
- Bats seek hibernation sites in caves and abandoned mines.
- Feeders get busier as the month progresses.
- Beavers are very active in the evenings while caching a winter supply of food.
- Waterfowl migration peaks this month.
- Peak of deer breeding season. Use caution while driving.
- Witch Hazel is the last plant to bloom this year.
- Open water is important if there's an early freeze. Put out heated bird baths for a winter water source.
- Look for uncommon visitors to your feeders such as Pine Siskin and Red-breasted Nuthatches.
- Leonid meteor shower is mid-month.